A roundup of news, reports, and research on agribusiness and related issues.
- KFC to hold US trial of vegan ‘chicken’ nuggets | TheGuardian.com
KFC says their vegan chicken nuggets are a "Kentucky fried miracle." Give peas a chance?
- Warren and Sanders think this farm policy will help rural America rebound. Does it stand a chance? | Civil Eats
Schaffer is “absolutely delighted” as he watches the 2020 presidential campaign unfold. For the first time in over two decades, several Democratic candidates have proposed putting a stop to overproduction.
- Q & A: Is Farming the answer to Climate Change? | ModernFarmer.com
Farmland is—potentially—a vast, inexpensive way to sequester carbon and store it long-term.
- Mexican marijuana traffickers are poisoning California forests with a banned pesticide, officials say | LATimes.com
The pesticide, carbofuran, is toxic to wildlife and humans and can cause permanent reproductive damage. Law enforcement took reporters on a tour of one of the illegal grow sites on Tuesday, where a bottle of carbofuran could be seen.
- In the largest prosecution of organic fraud in U.S. history, Iowa grain seller sentenced to 10 years in prison| NewFoodEconomy.org
The Iowa grain seller who was part of the largest prosecution of organic fraud, and sentenced to more than ten years in prison was found dead.